June is National Dog Wash Month. In honor of this, John Paul Pet would like to encourage you to take time and give your pet some extra TLC. Bathing is good for overall hygiene as well as can improve your pet’s health. Veterinarians suggest bathing your pet typically every 4 to 8 weeks, depending on the breed. Check with your veterinarian to see how frequently you should be washing your pets. Hand washing your pet allows you to examine your pets body from head to tail. It provides you with an opportunity to check for any new lumps and bumps. It also allows you to look for any skin conditions. Early detection of health issues is key and monthly washing provides you with a great way to give your pet a comprehensive check.
Here are some helpful tips to help make your bathing experience a success for both you and your pet.
* Talk to your pet while bathing; this can be reassuring and comforting.
* Brush out your pet’s fur before you begin the bath,
* Use lukewarm water.
* Use a specially formulated shampoo for your pet, like John Paul Pet products. It’s less drying to their skin than people shampoo.
* Work the shampoo into a gentle lather and massage it all over your dog’s body. Begin at your pet’s neck and work your way down.
* Wash your pet’s face with a tear-free pet shampoo, such as John Paul Pet Tearless Shampoo. It will clean your pet’s face without irritating his/her eyes.
* Rinse well.
* If your pet doesn’t care for water, use a waterless shampoo, like John Paul Pet Waterless Foam Shampoo.
* If your pet’s coat is extra oily, apply shampoo directly to coat without water, this will allow shampoo clean the fur better.
* Don’t forget to use John Paul Pet Conditioning Sprays to add moisture and shine to your pets coat.
Join our efforts in keeping pets healthy and squeaky clean!